PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capt Burkill to re-join BA
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2010, 18:15
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Those whingers banging on about seniority come across as being extremely selfish individuals...

Quite possibly.
However, BA could blunt this objection by simply carrying an extra Captain on the seniority list...so as to not disadvantage those senior First Officers who are in line for the next Command course.
A win-win scenario, for all.....and is exactly what I would do if I were in
charge at BA flt ops.
Because....line pilots can actually learn from the experience of those few Commanders who are gifted with the ability to 'think outside the box'...a very rare commodity, in my opinion.

Now, it may appear that I constantly bash British Airways, as...after all they are sometimes such an easy target.
However, as I have mentioned before, I have flown with several BA First Officers at other airlines (secconded) and I can say with certainty that these folks are (possibly) second only to QANTAS (First Officers...which I also have operated with, secconded) in their thinking ability as, after all, when it all goes pear shaped, the last item one might desire, in a very critical point in time, is a pilot who might say...'oh gosh, I wonder what the QRH has to say?'

NB.
As a twenty six thousand hour airline pilot (and, TRE/IRE), it is my opinion that the ultimate ability for a pilot is to adapt an abnormal situation to, at that point, to his (her) best advantage, for a successful outcome.
The referenced Captain did so, and he should be congratulated...not forgotten, and discarded.
Ever.

Last edited by 411A; 29th Sep 2010 at 18:30.