PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling the tower or a/g frequency even when flying above their airspace
Old 13th Aug 2002, 13:11
big.al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chilli Monster et al

A word of advice from your experience then, please.

Let's say I'm flying from Netherthorpe, south-east, and will be passing around 4 miles south of Gamston ATZ. Having left EGNF I would want LARS from Waddington, and would also soon have to contact them for permission to cross the Cranwell/Barkston Heath CMATZ.

I'm not intending to stray into Gamston's ATZ but would consider it good practice to let them know where I am. On the other hand, I don't want to start talking to Waddington, then switch to Gamston, and then switch back to Waddington, so if I'm going to speak to Gamston at all, I'd probably not request LARS from Waddington until well past Gamston.

This is a real potential scenario, as I plan to fly EGNF to Norwich, via Fenland.

Would you suggest that as long as Waddington have me on radar and I don't stray into Gamston ATZ, that Gamston need not know I'm there? Seems discourteous to me, but from ATC point of view, what is the preference?

Thanks!