PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French strike - routing options ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2010, 17:51
Nock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll try to explain you what's happening in France.

Who gave notice of strike action?
The Union called UGFF CGT planned a strike between september, 24th to september, 29th.
source: Union Générale des Fédérations de Fonctionnaires

What are the implications of this strike?
All civil servants can join this union and therefore can go on strike during this period of time. As you may know, ATCOs in France are civil servants, so theorically ATCOs can go on strike between the 24th and the 29th.
To be sure that the air traffic will be dealt with, our administration decided to deal with this strike like any other strike of ATCOs and decided to requisition ATCOs & put some regulations on traffic (that's what stems from minimum service in France)
That's why you have the NOTAM

What are actually doing french ATCOs?
No controller belongs to the UGFF CGT and even the part of CGT which deals with ATCO (USAC CGT) does not call for a strike during this period. So there is no strike in air traffic control appart from september 23rd.
source: http://www.usac-cgt.org/sites/defaul...0septembre.pdf

(that's clearly written here: L'Union Générale des Fédérations de Fonctionnaires CGT a déposé un préavis de grève sur 8 jours, du 15 au 23 septembre, afin de couvrir les initiatives sectorielles ou individuelles de tous les agents de la Fonction Publique en amont du 23 septembre.
L'USAC-CGT appelle les agents de la DGAC à coordonner et à concentrer leurs actions spécifiquement sur la journée du 23 septembre afin de renforcer la mobilisation nationale.

to summarize: UGFF called for a strike between september, 15th to september 23rd (now 29th) but we ask you to concentrate yours actions specifically on september, 23rd)
So appart from september 23rd, there was no strike.
What we do is that we all go to work, the requisitions are removed and we all work as normal. But due to the regulations put in case some of us would go on strike (which are quickly removed when our administration realizes that nobody is on strike) there can be some disturbance at the begining of some shifts.

Now, your turn:
Why exactly have there been massive delays for traffic routeing through French airspace recently ?
Where, when and how much?
(maybe they are just caused by surges of traffic? give me an example and I will try to find out what's happening!)

I hope my explanations were clear enough (and that my written english is not that rusted!)

Nock