PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women pilots...?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2002, 11:49
flygunz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gunray
I think specaircrew has completely summed up the sexist attitude that pervails in the Armed Forces and it's a good thing that the post came so early, it will certainly spark some comment.
Be under no illusion it will be far tougher for you to succeed whilst you've got to internally fight against some bigotted attitudes at the same time trying to do your own job. It wont be easy.
I am not a 'FJ' but have spent some time teaching men and women a similar trade in rotary, I have to say that my best ever student was a female and her achievement was due to ability, aptitude, intelligence and motivation. Added to that was a huge amount of hard work on her part to be better than anyone else irrespective of gender. In her favour was a system that didn't recognise her as a women but as an aviator, so she was better placed than you will be.
In my opinion there will always be a divisive problem when a lesser number of females have to work alongside more male collegues, particulary in the Armed Forces.
Best of luck, if you do it, go get it!