PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus lands short at Palermo
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2010, 21:24
Blind Squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updates from the "Messaggero"

Pilot "one of the most experienced at Wind Jet"; aircraft "ran off the runway after touch-down"; according to passengers "the undercarriage may have collapsed...witnesses speak of the aircraft sliding 600 metres on its belly and finishing up on the verges next to the runway."

GESAP now saying "about 20 people taken to hospital," though none with serious injuries; 123 pax on board. Aircraft an A310-200. According to Wind Jet, "wind shear" was the cause. Dr Francesco Scorza, Red Cross physician on scene: "I provided first aid...about a dozen people came to me for treatment of minor cuts to their limbs and head, probably sustained while coming down the emergency chutes."

"After the off-runway landing there were scenes of panic and screaming on board. The overhead lockers opened and lots of stuff fell out. I was hit in the head," said Salvatore Lauro, 46, engineer..."I saw the cowlings of the right-hand engine open," he added. "After violently impacting the ground the oxygen masks deployed. Then they opened the chutes. Before we could get out of the aircraft several passengers blocked the exits for quite a few minutes because they wouldn't leave their hand baggage behind. But the crew prevailed upon them to deplane without their wheelie-bags." Lauro complained about "the delay before the emergency services arrived. We had to walk along the runway for about fifty metres before the shuttle-buses turned up." Afterwards he received medical treatment in the infirmary. "I'm going home now," he said, "and thank goodness nothing happened that can't be taken care of. Among those who were more badly hurt than I, I did see a man who seemed to have a dislocated shoulder."