PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine fire warning on the ground? Evacuation?
Old 24th Sep 2010, 08:08
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving aside type specifics, waiting 30s to discharge a second bottle with a Fire on the Ground seems "unwise"? Surely that is delaying the Evacuation by up to 30s?

The company I work for's bottom line is you evacuate for 'Any Confirmed Unextinquished Fire'. That can be interpreted in a number of ways, but my thinking is along the lines of:
  1. A Fire Warning (alone) is not Confirmed
  2. 'Unextinquished' is at the (final) point of the Evac decision.
Whilst that decision could be immediate, in practice, while my colleague is working through the Fire Drill, I am confirming the Fire / communicating (windows, ATC, CC etc.). If it is confirmed, we will invariably now go for the Evac checklist. That requires certain actions prior the actual Evacuation becoming irreversible, and another chance to see if the fire has extinquished.

As ever, there is no "right" and "wrong". You make the decision, and unless it is patently wrong given the info you had at the time, you should be supported. Whether a more optimal answer subsequently becomes apparent is not too relevant - you can only act on the info and training at that time. pPrune will of course hang you, but what's new

NoD