PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Puma Incedent Stanford Training Area
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 09:02
It's only Me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long long time ago, but Henry09 is pretty accurate in what he says. Have not flown a Helo in 18 years, but in those days was the Training Officer on 230 and was in the LHS that night.

Not a pleasant experience and a shock to all. It took us few minutes to find him, even with the Nightsun at 20ft. When we did, his rifle (a SLR in those days) was bent. Unfortunately, it was possibly the nav light shining off the (not normally fitted) nightsun that may have given the impression that we were on the ground. Indeed, there were nearly more; some Officer Cadets could not find the seatbelts, so they linked arms! One was half way out when they were pulled back.

I will never forget the CM saying "ones gone" at 175ft, just like the "8 dropped", "7 chutes" ref a PGI in California later in my time as a C130 Flt Cdr. Days to forget, yet can't.

Overall, an interesting det from RAFG; got stuck at Wattisham on the way and were suitably entertained by the fellow Tigers there. Later took a bird through the lower windscreen and when that was being fixed, a set of stepladders through the upper one via the downdraught of an OCU Puma!

Anyway, want to know the truth? PM me.

Me