PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forward Slipping a 737-800
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2002, 19:58
Mud Skipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arcinz

I like the concept of life-history FDR's, it seems logical to not only track maintenance but also the loads the airframe has experienced over its life. For smoother operators this could reduce costs and increase resale and for those who perform such sideslip manouvers - well lets just say you would know what you were insuring or buying.

dvt,

Why are you so agro that no one else supports the use of this technique. Did you do it on a check and are now having to answer to your company Gods?

I've had a fellow pilot select FLT and cross it up on final - hot and high, CRM non-existent - it's not fun for the other bloke. I know the aircraft can do it, but it ain't a good idea for more than just structural reasons.

If operating as a crew then you shouldn't surprise the other half, even if you do inform him of your intentions I doubt (time is limited unless you planned this from ToD?) he has time you consent or undertands to what extent you intend to do. It really sounds like you would be better flying solo.

Granted the Vnav data of late has gotten worse and worse but how do you miss manage your energy state so badly that this manouver is required. OK so your flying into a "Salad Bowl", big deal, on this occasion just be a bit more reserved.

Good luck with the company if they are trying to haul your ass.