PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Reading
Thread: Pilot Reading
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2010, 21:32
gileraguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Reading

I can't find the thread now, but on one of the other forums a couple days ago, I read about a difference of opinion between Pilot Flying and PNF regarding reading on the flight deck on Short Haul flights.

In a nutshell, old Captain chastises young FO (PNF) for pulling out a novel at TOC. (Apparently without asking permission to read)

Young FOs and SOs complain that there's no issue with what they're doing as they are PNF.

I wondered what the SLF thinks?

How would you feel if you could see that only one pilot is monitoring the systems?

How come they put two pilots in the cockpit then?

What about that critical 45 seconds (from all the Air Crash Investigations Shows) where the PF doesn't notice the divergence from the planned route and the AC goes out of control? could the PNF not be of assistance here?

My thoughts are: they're getting paid to fly and there are two of them for a reason. I certainly wouldn't be happy knowing that they're reading ANYTHING or doing anything but looking out if they're not flying.

Is the job so boring that on short haul you feel the need to escape? Maybe they should consider alternative employment if the job is so boring. I am certain there are plenty of keen types who would take your place.

I suspect this is a Gen X vs Gen Y multitasking and manners issue...

Now, lets see how long this thread lasts!