PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2010, 10:32
ChiefDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will remind some, a mate of mine went to do intial c1 medical, he passed the ishihara plates, and the asked him , to have a go at the CAD, no charge was made, it was just new and they wanted to run the test, he said fine, well he failed the caf test, to a level that it a reslt of severve 9-10 units. more importmant he was over the 7 units retest and the optician could not give a real explanation, so really , the cad test will be questioned. Also i was told that if you cant dont see the signal then you are to GUESS ,OMG, SAFETY yeah ill guess, mm let someone with a reall issue guess the right diirection and be made colour safe, get real..
I'm not arguing with you here as I can see where you're coming from on the guessing front.

Having not yet done the CAD I'm not exactly sure how many passes the little box makes, but assuming it moves at roughly the same speed on the actual test as it does on the web based version, and you have to sit there for 15 minutes doing it I would guess there are probably 80 or so? (Someone who's done it please feel free to correct me!) I would like to assume there are many passes to be identified though. That said, if you have a severe enough colour issue to fail, what realisticly are the chances of you guessing enough of what you can't see right to pass? Surely it has to be less likely that you would pass that than it would be for you to fail the IP's if you'd learnt them? I would say that once a test like this has been shown to be able to be passed simply by learning the correct answers instead of being able to demonstrate it then it is no longer a feasable test. That would be like someone reading a book on how to drive a car and leaning the correct answers and the driving test consisting of them asking you how you would change gear or how to do an emergency stop rather than you actually being able to do it.

I agree, the CAD isn't perfect, what test is? Maybe there should be a time limit on the answers, maybe a button for when you can't see it, but even these wouldn't stop people guessing even if they were told not to, after all you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right, but again if you're guessing at lots then those odds get a lot bigger at getting them all right.

Does anyone know if the monitor used for the CAD has to be checked and calibrated for colours before its used? That could cause problems if not, but then even other tests like IP's and lanterns are susceptible to the test of time, IP's will fade Lanterns will gather dirt and dust and fade over time. I doubt there will ever be a perfect CV test as long as I live but at least they appear to be trying to improve the testing, albeit they may have made a few mistakes with the approach.

As for me, I won't know either way until I do the test. I'm not attempting to cheat my way to a class 1, just simply to find out if my CV is good enough for this environment, if not then so be it, I'll rethink and start looking at other things, but I have to know and at least give it a shot first. If nothing else I will get a better understanding of the level of my CV!