PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cancel SID maintain runway heading (or track).
Old 20th Sep 2010, 04:21
Icarus2001

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts
How would you do it unless a navaid was located on the extended runway centreline or you back-tracked an ILS?
Well our modern aircraft with FMS/GNSS/INS have a function enabling them to track upwind on an extended centreline until given some other input such as heading, direct to a waypoint etc. The other method is using a tracking diamond or some such once airborne, the diamond or other shape shows the TMG so one simply heads to keep the shape on the required track.

Please folks, aren't there more interesting/stimulating topics???
Obviously you thought it worth lobbing a grenade when you could have moved on.

From some of the dull-witted replies in the foregoing,
Seems simple enough to me!
These two posts are very telling. I think flying an RNAV approach is pretty simple, but it killed 15 people a little while ago. I think loading enough fuel is pretty simple but we had splash down near Norfolk Island a little while ago.

You guys are making my point for me. YOU THINK you KNOW what the correct answer is, or what the ATCO intends but what if you don't? Is it even possible you may be wrong in your assumption?

I started this thread after seeing the confusion at my company among VERY experienced pilots. So please refrain from telling me how SIMPLE this is.

In 30 years I never heard the phase " maintain runway track".
The way you have phrased that sentence makes me believe you no longer fly, is that correct? I can assure you I hear it at least twice a week but it does seem to be a recent addition, as in say the last 2-3 years.