PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2010, 18:12
gonebutnotforgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ATC contribution

alemaobaiano - Neither XL crew were 'playing games' as you put it, they were just trying to do a job. They clearly expected to be able to use a block of airspace, as one would in the UK, well away from any airway hotspot. They had discussed this with the ATC unit at Perpignan, who could see no problem with the plan, and the subsequent refusal left them baffled, as noted in the report. Apparently no explanation or alternative area was offered, I call that unhelpful, what would you call it? I don't know why the words 'Test flight' weren't used, but the patterns they wanted to fly would have been identical to any general handling detail, so what's in a name?

As for the A330 accident, the trigger was the ATC request to alter the level off from 6000ft (from memory) to 2000ft; I didn't say or imply or mean this was in some way a piece of deliberate sabotage, merely that it is very easy for the (very) best laid plans to get screwed up by ATC inputs. The fact that both incidents happened in France is mere coincidence, I've nothing against French ATC.