PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2010, 12:42
Fawad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@BOAC

Well, the whole story of why HoPIA went offline doesn't really have much to do with the discussion of this thread. So let's leave it aside. If it may enhance your confidence, the same stuff regarding pilots being released has been reposted on the same forum.

According to a news report published in September 14 edition of Urdu daily 'Waqt', following four pilots above the age of 60 have been released by AirBlue after flight ED-202 accident.

* Capt. Ali Hamid
* Capt. Saeed Khan
* Capt. Mirza Rafi
* Capt. Khalid Mufti
Well, I have never claimed to be a pilot nor given that impression. I do, however, know a thing or two and am always eager to learn from sites like this.

My comments about RNWY 12 was to emphasize he wasn't making "another" approach to land on it. A lot of mess had been created in the local media in the early days saying he was going to land but ATC didn't "allow him" at the last moment and asked for a "go around", put him into a holding pattern, etc. All the stories about "told 2 hrs before flight","anti aircraft gun shot it," etc also surfaced within hrs of the crash with little merit sans any evidence.

My comments was related to that. I am aware that even if you intend to land on 12, you first approach 30 first before breaking off and also the circling approach. To my knowledge, the most credible reports so far indicates they failed to complete the circling approach successfully.

Going back to topic, someone posted this on the HoP forums.
Green: Normal approach
Red: ED202 path

If I understand what Jalal is saying (and please feel free to correct me if I got this wrong), the plane followed the green line till near the runway, flew over his house 700m from the runway, had to abandon the approach and made a "U turn" towards the Maragalla hills to try again. That would make it somewhere close to where the green lines crosses Saidpur Rd and Murree Rd.

The picture above and media reports suggest they followed the red path. This would mean they never approached Rwy 12 the first time to try it "again". It means they never made the left turn where the green line crosses Islamabad Hwy and 9th ave.