PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Um, what's all this about then?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2002, 08:45
Mai Dong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotten Attitude

I am quite amused by the outpouring of emotion by people on the subject of security guards doing their job. I even sense jealousy and “I am mightier and more important than you” attitude. Lets review some of the well thought out and constructive criticisms being levelled at these airport security guards.

“I was confronted upon landing (around 10pm), with a "Dirty Harry" type complete with big shiny badges, sidearm, handcuffs and spotlight..”

“My answer was perhaps best described as "none of your business, got any problem with that, then go talk to the boss,..”

“if they are bothering you as you taxi in with their big shiny 'f*ck off' mag lite then give them a few bursts with your landing and taxi light.”

“Probably just Shopping Mall security guards who now get to carry a gun on a bit of an ego trip.”

“Just tell em to pis off, these idiots have absolutly no power of any type what so ever.”

“…chances are that they are just hanging more stuff off there already over loaded belt to impress,…”

“..they are employed by the Australian Protective Service and they are a pain in the arse. they are wanna be coppers who have nothing better to do.”

“429 ... where is YOUR big F##K off Mag lite ? Why don't you point it in their face? ... (Dolphin light is even better!)”

The emotion is running high here guys, why these ‘rent a cops’ must really be some bad news. What sort of an attitude do some of you have when your initial reaction to someone wandering over, doing their job and perhaps just after a friendly chat is to tell them “where to go” and “you don’t belong here, what I am doing is none of your business.”

Well, it is their business. It is their job. They are there for our benefit. They are there to make sure that some loony doesn’t steal your aircraft like as happened recently in Adelaide. They are there to make sure that people are not conducting illegal activities, like moving drugs through outback airports in the middle of the night. They are there to make sure that some drunken idiot doesn’t come in and smash all the runway lights. (I have seen that happen) They are there to stop weirdos who want to dress up like pilots and wander around international airports with the potential to do god knows what, and I have seen that happen too.

So how about losing the attitude because from the tone of this thread it makes me sick to the stomach realising the depth of rotten egos that populate and reproduce here. How about next time when one of these evil, just trying to get in my way ‘rent a cops” wanders over asking what you up to, perhaps disengage your ego from your mouth and try hard to initiate something known as conversation and I am sure you will be surprised!