PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another fine (DHE) mess........
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2002, 05:55
BEagle

Received 342 Likes on 119 Posts
I think that it's now in excess of £130K........

Wasn't the idea behind MQs that they encourage mobility? So that the reluctance to move between stations was less as a uniform standard of housing would be available wherever?

Some years ago we were asked whether the 'live in for the first 12 months' nonsense was fair. I pointed out that, at that time, it represented something like a £5K fine as it would mean being 12 months behind in the housing market.......so our boss at the time was perfectly happy for people to live out as soon as they asked.

In the 70s (when some Plt Offs were on assistance), a Flt Lt with 3 years in the rank used to get about £6K pa (inc FP) - and a 3 bed semi in RAF Lincolnshire cost around £14K. The price of a 3 bed semi near Brize is now around 10 times that; I'm pretty sure that no 3 year Flt Lt earns £60K..... And as for the youngsters in the Other Ranks who make nothing like half that, what hope will they have of buying a house? It follows that MQs are their only option. Mind you, once upon a time early marriage was discouraged by reduced 'marriage allowance' below the age of 25 - but if you were single you were not permitted to live out!

But how do civilians on pay levels less than those of our ORs cope?

Last edited by BEagle; 12th Aug 2002 at 17:37.