PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Recruiting now
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2010, 14:45
John Alcock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be a lot of negativity regarding the Jet2 recruitment, so I'd be grateful if someone could explain their viewpoint to me.

I have recently left a flying school, and so have no commercial experience. ("Ah," you say "there's the problem!") In the past, people in my situation looking for the Holy Grail of the first job have often found a helping hand in the form of flyBe.

For those knocking the Jet2 salary, it appears that every month a Jet2 F/O on 70% will still take home around £200+ more than a flyBe F/O.

For those being disparaging of the base locations, they're certainly no worse than some of those being offered by flyBe (Inverness, Aberdeen, IoM spring to mind). No offence to anyone there, just inconvenient to visit family and friends.

For those against the age of the fleet, a Classic Type Rating is only differences training away from an NG, not a completely new rating. And a similar comment could apply to flyBe; the Dash-8 may be a technologically incredible aircraft, but there aren't too many European/UK operators around if you leave flyBe.

The comments saying "hang on, the upturns just around the corner" might well be valid. Might not be. While the boats here, I'd like to get on board before it sails! If you've plenty of hours and experience, you probably feel more confident that the bigger "better" airlines will look at your applications. For a low-houred pilot like me, I don't have that experienced-based assurance.

Paying for your own rating is a big down-side, but the rating is less expensive than either Ryanair's or easyJet's, and unlike these two there's the guarantee that your base will be in the UK, and you'll know it before paying for the rating. It sounds as though 99% of the staff at Jet2 are good people too, which doesn't pay bills as someone said, but can make a huge difference to the prospect of going into work.

And for some (myself included), the time off in the winter doesn't sound dreadful as long as you've a hobby/past-time to entertain yourself or even a qualification to study for.

Of the options facing people in my situation, it doesn't seem like a bad one, and I'm aware that flying schools are still cranking the handle adding fresh ab-initios into the job pool every month, so I'm keen to get into employment before I appear stale.

I agree it's not the best job, but for my position I can't help but think it's the best job out there.

I'd be thankful if the half-empty readers would try and explain the negative sides, bearing in mind the alternatives available to me. It'd be really helpful too if you'd add a little about your situation/experience so I can appreciate your perspective.

And sorry if this sounded a bit anti-flyBe at the beginning. It's 100% not meant to be, just a comparison with another low-houred employer and trying to show Jet2 in the light that I see it.

Thanks!