PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watch Out For African Atc's
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2010, 11:46
DASHER 8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont agree that its always prudent to rely on FMS info only regarding tailwinds on short final.
Any FMS/FMC takes a while to update its position and speed info regardless of whether its using GPS, DME, VOR, INS or a combination of those for its position info.
The case i am referring to is Bloenfontein RWY 20.
In the winter months the wind on the ground is usually calm or even light from the North as per the reliable info given by the ATC's in Bloem.
There is usually a strong inversion at around 1000ft AGL with the associated wind shift.
Typically on final approach to RWY 20 the FMS indicates a 10-20 knot tailwind right down to touchdown, which simply is not the case.
I dont believe we should be doing go arounds on every second approach because of the FMS tailwind info. It simly does not update that quickly.
Fortunately in Bloem we have good reliable ATC's whose info is spot on.

I guess in Africa its prudent to use all info sources to make the right descision. FMS, ATC, smoke on the ground if it's visual, other pilots reports and your general gut feel.

Lubumbashi like many other airports north of the Limpopo will always be a challenge.

Good Luck