PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ set to fly Australian routes
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2002, 23:20
longjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why should we forgive and forget?

I hate to sound like a broken record, but, ANZ removed Ansett's best chance of survival in a vain attempt to rival Qantas. Everyone knew it, we all stood by bewildered by the ANZ board decision to exercise preemtive rights over the sale of AN and thereby oust Singapore Airlines bid. The share market certainly knew it, ANZ shares began a steepening descent as soon as the transaction was consumated. The international money market certainly knew it, Gary Toomey was finding it VERY hard to secure offshore funds.

But Air New Zealand ran around like a 2 year old spruking that it was now a 'TOP 20' airline (obvioulsy size did matter to them)

Two things in particular raise my suspicion and ire over this debarcle:

Firstly, if ANZ was genuinely serious about integration, how come it was so simple to pull it all apart, almost as if there was a plan in place to 'de-integrate'.

Seconly, and flowing on from my first point, not only was it fairly painless to pull apart the so called integrated airline, management seemed to be able to return to a new structure within record time.

Both these points suggest that there were some ANZers who were preparing for this for some time (a plan B team). So how seriously were ANZ taking this purchase in the first place? What chance did they give it after they bought in?

Internally, the airline was hurting from the constant battles going on over 'which way we should do it'. Inevidably, the 'we own you' argument got much use despite the effects on Aussie customers (i.e. peanut debarcle).

From a staffmembers perspective I do not remember being flooded with sympathy from over the Tasman, what I do remember is all the KIWI's in the so called 'integrated airline' being whisked back to Auckland, and the convicts being deported back to the other side of the pond.

In fact, it was reported to me that at a STAR alliance pilots meeting in Auckland held only weeks after the seperation, NZALPA made NO mention of their Ansett colleagues, only that they were pissed about losing flying to other STAR pilots(yes this is post S11).

I am not saying there were not other factors which contributed to the problems at ANsett, but ANZ was not left innocetly holding the hot potato, rather it eagerly and stupidly grabbed hold of it and refused to let go, despite warnings from all and sundry that it would get its hands burnt, and afterwards, the NZ government rubbed millions into the wound to make it all better.

Obviously I will never give them a dollar, so what, but neither will any of my friends or family and we will all make sure that many others are aware of what really happened.

This is why Ansett employees, families, friends customers, suppliers and creditors will not forgive and forget.