PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another fine (DHE) mess........
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2002, 22:01
Talk Reaction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote Talking Radalt "I say "forcing" because to really rub salt in the wound I've just checked the website of the estate agent who is selling said houses and they are priced barely within financial reach of most first-time-buying servicemen based anywhere in the SE.) "

I believe the average cost of a typical house ACROSS THE UK is now over £110 K so assuming that your first time buying serviceman has £3000 or so for solicitiors etc and a 10% deposit (how many of us have £13 000 tucked away?) he still needs to raise a 100K mortgage which means earning at least 28,500 pa (based on a 3.5 times salary mortgage.)

Suddenly it's not just a problem in the SE and with the continued growth of the housing market, which last time i checked was growing faster than MOD pay rises, it's going to get harder for servicemen to get into the market - and all this assumint they dont have young family to look after for example.....

Maybe it's a retention plan - on the principle that we cant afford to leave the services unless we want to live on the streets....

What a rant - you wouldnt guess I dont want to live in anymore!!