PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2010, 19:48
Richard Taylor
Fit like min?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet2

Well done to Glasgow for becoming Jet2's latest base. No "firm plans" to look further north, but they are "in regular contact/talks" with other airports about expansion. I'll bet ABZ is one of them, Jet2 being one of the - what was it, 20+?? - airlines ABZ management say they are talking to.

But that's always how it seems. Airlines "looking at/in constant dialogue/discussions" with ABZ over new routes, while ABZ say they are "looking at/in constant dialogue/discussions" with airlines...over new routes. Then it never quite seems to happen...bit like that runway extension. I sense a bit of a pattern - or am I being too harsh?

Why can't a deal be struck? Are the airlines not getting the deal they want from BAA? Runway still an issue? Is ne Scotland just not attractive or lucrative enough to start routes, never mind set up a base. Remember GSM couldn't establish a year-round base at ABZ or make proposed winter routes viable. Is it all of the above, or something else? Catchment area is a definite issue, I agree - we'll never have the frequency or variety of routes compared to the Central Belt I guess, but it's still rather frustrating that other airports seem to get on with successfully adding routes, even in these uncertain times, yet we seem to get nowhere!

Old ground of course, & I may or may not know the answers already, but I feel the need to vent some frustration!!

everything seems to take forever up in ABZ!!