PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2010, 13:04
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
]The point of my post was to highlight how you seem to flit between moaning that the UK regions "suffer" because of airlines focusing on one place (i.e. London) and then advocating that, er....wouldn't it be great if airlines focussed all their efforts in one place (i..e Manchester). You've written chapter and verse on how BA have stopped MAN reaching it's full potential, but seem quite happy for lots of other airports not to reach their own potential just so MAN can benefit. [/I]

Going Loco

I am confused by your argument ?

I'm not actually suggesting they focus on one place far from it, but lets "within reason" put demand where it originates, rather than artificially funnel it through one hub, having said that, the originating airports do at least have to be able to support that demand !

I applaud Easyjet, Jet2 and Ryanair who now run a massive range of service to European destinations from provincial airports that would have been unheard of 15 years ago, I am not sure any of my comments have ever said these should all go into Manchester ?

Long haul is different, EK have demonstrated that they can offer viable multiple frequency to the regions, Newcastle, Birmingham , Glasgow etc, but there are few airlines who could (or more critically would) want to do this.

I am simply pointing out that Heathrow and the surrounding airspace is pretty much full, the next best option is therefore Manchester unless we want to lose traffic to other European airports. Manchester is surely more convenient for potential passengers who live North Of Birmingham in cities like Leeds Liverpool etc, but aside from a few niche services, its folly to suggest that these airports could support a vast increase in schedules given the current mix of fares and profits generated by consolidation as we see at Heathrow.

If you can suggest another regional airport that has the infrastructure but can also put forward a viable case to support a massive increase of passengers whilst still returning good yields for airlines based on hubbing then by all means "suggestions on a postcard".