PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2010, 12:48
hammerb32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Quite frankly it's prop estrous to compare Manchester to Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool etc, they are in the wrong location, they do not have the transport links and in some instances are limited by both demand and indeed capacity.Based on major populations centres then yes for "half the country" Manchester is much more convenient.

Bagso,

Would agree that LPL and LBA aren't the easiest of places to get to but I can't think of another airport in the UK so well connected to transport as BHX, on the West Coast mainline, direct links the M6 and M42 etc. The key for MAN is that geographically it's in the centre of 3 major urban connurbation, Merseyside, Gtr Manchester and West Yourkshire, add to that Lancashire, South Yorks and North Wales you're probably looking at it being in the centre of about 10 million people. Add to that again the West and East Mids down the road you've got another 4.5 million within a 90 minute drive.

In my humble MAN is the only airport outside of the South East that's not a regional airport. It's the main hub for a good chunk of England and probably south Scotlands population, LPL, LBA and BHX primarily serve their metropolitan area. The issue MAN has, as documented here, is that fares are high from the airport, choice is now much more widely available. Hypothetic example, Mr Jones in Stretford wants to go to Dubai, from MAN it's £600, from BHX it's £450, Mr Jones may well say the £150 saving is worth the 90 minute drive down the road. The adverts referred to are therefore a good play to ensure people in the aformentioned areas consider MAN as their hub.

That's my view anyway.....