PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue A330 Jobs
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2010, 07:36
relax737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Le Rhone, The old pilot shortage chestnut has been around since I started flying, and is constantly being mentioned by anybody who wants to convince themselves that it exists.

Who mentioned '89?? I did in the context of what a disaster it was, so I hope you plan your industrial action somewhat better than that was planned.

The good old days aren't so good for those 1000+ pilots who found themselves working overseas, some in god forsaken places for not much money, flying junk aircraft and compromising standards to earn an income as a result of an ill conceived and executed action back in '89. Was that the 'taking control' of which you speak???

You mentioned the solution in an earlier post. Indian pilots. Why would they come to Australia?? Because they will be paid a LOT MORE than in their own country, but still a LOT LESS than Australian companies are currently paying. That's a simple exercise in economics.

Mr Hat, post # 62, you are quite right.

If you haven't heard the arrogant line that Asian, African, South American, etc., pilots aren't nearly as good as Australian, New Zealand, American, British, etc., then I seriously doubt that you've been flying commercially or ever walked into a crew room.

I haven't read the FI article but will do so. Without having read it, I'll make the assumption that it will be like the head of the Real Estate Institute talking up the market after the most dismal Saturday auction clearance in decades. Talk is cheap.

I do wish you luck in your campaign, and nothing would please me more than to see Jetstar and Virgin paying 250K+ for a Captain, but I don't see it happening.

You obviously missed what I said about Rex parking aircraft rather than paying more to retain experienced crew. Managements don't think like pilots.

Good point 787FE. In many/most cases, the young inexperienced FO is a very switched on individual, still a lot to learn, but alert, eager to please, sharp as a tack, and champing at the bit for promotion.

There's something about being the eternal pessimist; I'm never disappointed, and just occasionally, ever so occasionally, I will be pleasantly surprised. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I thought the 'this' underlined was a link, but not so. The text appears in your post. What more can I say than 787FE. The experienced Captain killed 152!! The inexperienced FO called for a go around which would have saved 152. You didn't think that through before you posted!!

Last edited by relax737; 14th Sep 2010 at 09:11.