PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue A330 Jobs
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2010, 01:52
relax737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gnadenburg and LeRhone, you're talking of a totally different industrial climate. Those days are gone and they went in '89. Let's not enter into a lengthy discourse on that issue though.

Look how successful that campaign was!! And remember, that was in the old industrial climate where the union won most disputes.

I admire you for soldiering on, but I reckon you're pi$$ing into a 40 knot northerly on R34 Melbourne.

Re Jetstar, I know how they operate. In February I did a trip MEL-BGK, 2 crew operation, crew had signed on, 5 hours late, crew sitting in the pax terminal the whole time, no supplementary crew, result was 16+ hours tour of duty. I submitted a confidential report, and it looks as though it's been swept under the carpet. Despite my efforts to find a result I'm thwarted at every turn. The regulator doesn't care!!! Don't think you can turn to the government or regulator because they don'e care. Let me say that again, THEY DON'T CARE!!! More plainly, they don't give a ****!!!

You can't rely on the 'worldwide desperate shortage of experienced crews' because that has been on for more than 30 years, or so we've been told. I know a guy flying for Rex who is relying on that shortage for VB and Jetstar to provide endorsements at no cost, and he's been waiting since VB started operations 10 years ago. It won't happen because there is not a shortage of people wanting to have a go at any salary. It has always been so and always will be so.

Krusty 34, Rex has been cancelling flights for the past couple of years because of a shortage of crews. Their share price plummeted, but will they pay more to retain pilots??? NO!! Once they'increase salaries, those increases are protected by 'savings clauses' in contracts. The companies are stuck with them. They would prefer to rely on the cycle of a few too many and then a few too short. It has always been like this and always will be.
Airlines themselves have always been a few over the top or a few short.

When Australian airlines can't find enough recruits locally they will go to third world countries. Incidentally I've flown with Indian pilots, and they have been some of the best I've come across. The old line that because somebody isn't white they couldn't possibly fly an aircraft is long gone I'm afraid to say. Good training overcomes most issues, and Australia has good training. Re the white pilot issue, most American pilots are white, and I've seen an abominable standard amongst them. Shoots that argument down.

There will be no return to 'the good old days', and that isn't just for aviation.

Last edited by relax737; 14th Sep 2010 at 03:58.