PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue A330 Jobs
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2010, 10:54
The The

Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts
There are a lot of kids out there, who would give thier left nut to fly RPT 737/320/777/340 and they will, they couldn't care less about some old guy who used to fly a Connie.

Parents will stump up the equivelent of HECS to get them a type rating.
Don't think so! As a parent of 2 kids approaching and in the career defining years, I can tell you "piloting" is NOT on very many kids radar these days. Of all the friends, associates, career days/evenings I have heard about and attended, there has never been anyone of the next gen considering a pilot career. Lots of would-be mining engineers, business careers, IT etc, etc but not one mention of flying or even aviation. Sad, but true!

As for parents willing to stump up $100k plus, again, not likely. Any parent with that kind of cash to throw around has certainly got a few smarts about them. Are they going to splash that kind of cash for a career paying peanuts or see their kids banished overseas? There may be a few, but not many.

The way things are headed, I do see a critical shortage of pilots in this country, but sadly, the positions will likely be filled by low cost imports.