PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wimpies & Stirlings
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 22:34
Load Toad

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason I'm asking is that Google searches are inconclusive.

There is the oft repeated line on many web sites akin to '...blah blah, the aircraft was hampered by having to have a 99ft wingspan to fit RAF hangars..'

And I've seen a comment that early marks of the Halifax had to have a sub 100ft wing span.

Yet the Lancaster and later Halifax marks had over 100ft wing spans.

So - when did RAF hangar doors change to over 100Ft?

Because some sources suggest the sub-100ft was not (only) due to hangar door constraints.

..but Supermarine did have a design to meet the requirement - that was supposed to fly to 30K ft. What sort of wing span was that supposed to have

Changing all the hangar designs has to be a fair job as well...?

And there seems to be a lot of hangar designs: RAF hangar dimensions - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums

The original specification for the bomber was: Air Ministry Specification B.12/36

But I can't find the full spec on-line and I can't find anything but hear-say about the wingspan being restricted because of hangar door dimensions.

There are also comments that the short wing span was an attempt to keep weight down on a design that was also supposed to operate from and be maintained at backwater airfields dotted 'round the empire.

So - if the specification was for all that why would the restricting factor on wingspan be '...because some hangers in the UK had 100ft only doors.'
And the Stirling was hardly the lowest sitting 'plane ever.

Last edited by Load Toad; 12th Sep 2010 at 23:13.