PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots flying for free
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 11:54
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Never said I had less than 250hr TT, I have a bit closer to 350hr TT, and I wouldn't have anywhere near that if I had the same attitude that a lot of you seem to have. I'm well ahead of my peers who finished at the flying school and many others I met in my brief time doing an "Aviation Degree", lots of them still sitting back home with barely any more hours than they had when they finished.

I've had the odd job here and there, some skydiving stuff, some private stuff as well and only the current skydiving gig and one of the private flights i've done have been paid.

Never said I deserved a job straight off the bat, if I had that mentality I would still be sitting back home, the fact is i've gotten out there over the last 20months and realised its a hard bloody slog, but it'd be damned near impossible if I never took what I could get. I've done the best I can networking, met a lot of good people and picked up a lot of tips here and there and gotten damned close only to miss out by an hour or two in some cases cause someone got the news just that bit faster than me. Yeah, last year has been crud unfortunately, I know people who finished a bare few months before me and got jobs almost straight away, then a few months later its all kinda gone to crud. Even the chief pilots i've met along the way have said the same thing sometimes "If only you'd finished your CPL 3months earlier and gotten here then we would have probably taken you on!!", such is the way of life.

So once again, don't assume you know me, I realise there have been harder points in Aviations History, by no means do I feel I deserve a job and I realise its still going to be a hard slog to get to that first one.