PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to fly!
Thread: I want to fly!
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 16:06
Mostly Harmless

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello I-FABO.

As you can see, the grass often looks greener on the other side of the ocean. However, Canada is a labour rich market. There are more pilots than jobs here.

There is always a chance that with a work visa, a good attitude and a great work ethic, you could get a job. It would likely start as a position on a ramp or dock somewhere no one else wants to live (because it is very much in the middle of nowhere). If you impress the owner/operator sufficiently, you may get a flying position if one becomes available. It may take a few weeks, or a few years. So the most important thing you can have is patients and perseverance. The pay will be low. Often so low you cannot survive on the pay of one job and you must have a second to supplement your income. This means you are likely working 70-80 hours a week.

So, while I would not say that the chances are zero, because they never are and often depend upon things that are beyond your own control, I would say that the chances are very low. Lower than Italy? I can't say as I don't know what the situation is like for you at home. I will say if you decide to attempt this, it will be difficult and time consuming.

Best wishes in which ever road you choose to travel.