PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 19:04
spannersatcx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

What I know of CX pax flt ex MAN.

The plan was HKG-SVO-MAN vv, it was less than a month before the launch, and a lot of things were in place ready for it, then BMI objected, my understanding was/is BMI had the rites and for whatever reason (probably political) had not been aloud to fly it and therefore objected to someone else being allowed to fly said route, hence CX never got off the ground.

I understand that the MAN service has been looked at again and there is a possible return of a service, this if it happens will not be in the next couple of years. As I am led to believe, whoever makes these decisions, as the right equipment is not currently available at CX to fly this route at a profit. 2 class, right capacity etc etc.

I and everyone I talk to believes there is a market for a flt at MAN, it has to be timed correctly, the flts via AMS/ZRH/CDG/FRA were never a good time, MAN used to loose a lot of business class to LHR just so they could get an evening flt.

I'm staggered to read the figures for those that flew to HKG from MAN via LHR, if you can't make a profit out of that then I don't know what.

Cargo flts have been reduced fom 7 to 6 a week, although that will go back up to 7 in the winter, this is so a round the world freighter service can operate HKG-ANC-ORD-SPL-HKG. Although 2 or 3 years ago it was 13 a week with KA operating as well!

Most of these decisions are made in HKG, and once made you will find it very difficult to get these people to change, it's a cultural thing, something to do with lose of face.

I would like to see a CX pax flt return to MAN, there has to be the market there for it, just can't see it happening anytime soon, maybe when the A350 arrives!