PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Moscow
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 17:57
zakka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vnukovo is a magical place. Get your Russian Visa before you go otherwise 3 hours waiting in a Cirrus is not much fun, as they will make you wait on board and disappear with your passports. It’s much nicer waiting on a business jet with a loo and bottle of champers!

If you are unable to display meters on a PFD, I am guessing you have a glass cockpit, otherwise make up a chart for converting meters into feet. Try to park at Vnukovo 1 and you should make the first turning for it, otherwise you will spend the day taxiing there!

Not sure if they have AVGAS, but if they do bring a couple of cans of beer. Not for you but for the refuelers, will help with West / East Relations! Also get some roubles, $'s are no good. For your departure plan for a 1-2 possibly 3 hour delay there may be a presidential flight!
At Vnukovo 3 they have a crew transit lounge where you can wait for your visa in case you don't have one. Expect 2-3 hours wait.
The chance of getting a parking on Vnukovo 1 is very slim, so expect Vnukovo 3.
I also don't know if they have avgas, and the idea with bringing some alcohol for the fuelers is definitely good, and also correct that you can expect big delays for your departure - the ground frequency is normally chaotic to say the least.
Good idea to bring Rubles, but some might accept dollars.

I don't know the actual fees, but it is very expensive to land and park there.

I assume you have GPS in your Cirrus, otherwise it will be a nightmare to follow ATC instructions - especially during approach, as they like to fly you from waypoint to waypoint all over the place.

For a first time to Moscow, I recommend you go with someone who has been there before, but of course, I don't know your overall experience. They do have some funny procedures.

Good luck if you go, and prepare a big fat wallet to pay all the fees.