PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways 737 Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 17:10
kotakota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look , all airlines / training establishments are forever anal about RTO with Engine Fire / Evacuation etc , and all crews should be able to deal with this in their sleep .
I am always amazed at the cock-ups when a Fire is injected at any other phase of flight , ie on the stand , during push-back , during taxi , short finals etc .
Unless a jetty is still attached to the aircraft , a Full-Blown Evacuation has to be considered immediately .
A few well chosen words from the skipper to the copilot along the lines of :-
' Prepare for evacuation ' should alert him/her to depressurise the aircraft / run the Flaps to 40 ( 737 that is ) .
I once ran a sim session that had some slack where we threw in a lot of the above scenarios along with my personal favourite , the engine failure shortly after TO/GA pressed on take-off and engines arrive at Take Off Thrust . Incredible how few crew can keep the aircraft off the grass on that one .
Point is , we gave the crew a lot to take away with them and think about . Without exception , they all thoroughly enjoyed the experience , not just a sim session where they got out and then dismissed from their minds . They were talking about it on the line too , all good for increased situational awareness.
Basically , we need to get away from boring repetitive scenarios too often . Obviously the engine fire / failure at V1 is still the flight at its most vulnerable , but it seems we are missing the boat on the more mundane periods of flight when crew are at their most laidback.