PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final F-111 dump & burn over Brisbane 0900z 100904
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 14:38
Victor India

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH-XXX,

It has already been said and I almost thought "ah - let it go" - but:

Military are of course exempt from civil rules so height and proximity to built up areas / innocent civillians are not of concern to them.
You have proven yourself to be ill informed.

The rules which ADF aircraft follow are derived from a multitude of publications, which (where applicable) embrace (or even copy verbatim) the rules contained in AIP. Of course, the AIP would only cover a tiny fraction of the overall operational profile of many military types (particularly a strike aircraft like an F-111), therefore if we were to ask the F-111 (or similar) to conform to the AIP (and other civil regs) we'd be chopping off its nuts.

Risk management is performed at every level of flying safety management in the ADF, right down to the individual flight. No - it isn't always done perfectly - but as others have stated, we're talking about an essentially straight and level pass dumping a small amount of fuel. Without doubt only a fraction of the risk of your average first solo at Archerfield or similar...

I think you'd find that "height and proximity to built up areas/innocent civilians" is one of the frequently addressed issues in a military flight authorisation brief, and of great concern to ADF airworthiness authorities at all levels.

Is this sounding like cantonese to you? I suspect so...

VI