PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final F-111 dump & burn over Brisbane 0900z 100904
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 09:24
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Tourer,

You raise two main points, one about the cost of the flight in terms of simple entertainment, the other, safety:

I'd suggest that the masses don't generally have a problem with expenditure of a reasonable amount of public funds, on public entertainment from time to time. This is clearly a one-off, the celebration of 37 years' faithful service by a major defence asset which has become a common sight over parts of SEQ. Maybe it's the RAAF's way of telling us all that they're still on watch.

It's also the RAAF's tribute to those who maintained and operated them (and some who sadly died); the public's tribute will be in the applause and cheers which will doubtless be heard as the F111 goes overhead. I'd suggest that if numbers at the next similar event are smaller than this year's, the lack of the F111 will be a factor.

It could be argued that any public celebration / entertainment 'wastes' something, be it fuel, money, or some other resource. Indeed there are some which arguably waste at least as much - motor racing comes to mind, for example. Society may well one day choose to cap these 'wastes' by banning them. In any case, I'm sure we could all contribute by leaving the car at home now & then.

On the safety / crash point, these are military aircraft which I think we'd agree are sometimes pushed harder than civilian aircraft; that is, they often engage in activities which are inherently riskier, and that is where most incidents occur.

However, a straight-and-level, 1g overflight would, I'd suggest, generate limited risk for a properly maintained and operated aircraft. That is, a sortie such as this should present no greater risk to a built-up area under the flightpath, than a RPT aircraft approach over a built-up area. I'd suggest most airports serving major centres around the world, these days, are subject to pressures from the surrounding population such that it would be difficult to think of many which are competely free from built-up areas under one of their approaches; hence this is a risk which is difficult to eliminate.

Personally, I'm in favour of the upcoming show and I'm disappointed I won't be able to be there. I hope it's a lovely clear dark night and the flame coming out of that F111 lights up Brisbane.

Last edited by Taildragger67; 3rd Sep 2010 at 10:25.