PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying for FREE!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 08:14
OnTheHorizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi all,

thanks for the replies. nice to see that there are people out there that do care about others especially through tough times like this.

the company will convert me on their twin meaning any positioning flights (very little really) and dead legs (when they come up) i can log p1 and keep current. they do operate another company where most flights will be logging p1 but i'd say approx 10hrs a month, maybe lucky if i get more than that.

i feel like im in a catch 22 situation because if i go work in their office weekdays (for free) learning the ropes, making the tea, a bit of ops, flight planning etc, all good stuff to learn...then i can't go and get a paid job because i might miss out on the chance of a p1 flight or even sitting and learning in the right-hand seat on a charter gaining experience (which has been checked and i'm allowed to do as have a fcl).

they appear to be under the impression if i didn't do it, someone else would come along and "work for free" (as if i don't matter) so it's either "work for free or we'll have tons of other people that will do it"... i have been offered expenses in the past but it never materialised.

i have to admit, the chance to be part of a small organisation is great but having forked out several 10's of thousands of pounds and having not worked now since, my savings will not last forever.

in some aspects, the thought of flying with them sounds better than airline sectors but then again...i can't last on nothing.

as for getting a certain amount of hours per month 'guaranteed', that won't happen as they can't say how many charters they'll get per week/month or how many times the twin will need to be positioned.

it's in some way nice to know from the replied that most of you wouldn't allow yourself to be used like this...