PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exit Via...
Thread: Exit Via...
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 14:26
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know anything about the simulated flying world, but I regularly get instruction to exit at a particular intersection. Such direction can be considered as advisory only. When briefing a landing, I will point out the intersection I anticipate using to leave the runway, but most of the time I use most or all of the runway. As a courtesy, we usually advise ATC during the roll, if able, that we won't make XX intersection.

We are not expected to make a particular exit, and don't try, generally speaking. Once cleared to land, it's our runway, and we will use what we need. I imagine that getting an imaginary airplane stopped isn't a big deal, but a 630,000 lb airplane with a short turn-around time has break temperature issues to consider. We use the runway we need, regardless of the intersection the controller would prefer us to use.

Conversely, if we are slow enough to take the recommended runway exit, we'll certainly comply, and if we have a choice of several and are slow enough to choose, we'll take the one issued by the controller. Otherwise, we'll tell the controller which one of the following intersections we can take, when it becomes apparent that we won't make the exit the controller has initially specified. If the controller has a particular need, we expect he will advise us accordingly.