PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greedy captains who won't let you fly
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 06:47
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where we fly, it usually goes like this: "Which legs would you like to fly…?" (Unless CAT 'low' or auto-land…)
Because that's not what was done with this pilot. Quite frankly it wasn't your airplane, your job, your paycheck, and you didn't have to fly with him. I don't know anybody at that company which ever asked him which leg he would like to fly, and he wasn't capable of doing the first leg, which is why I told him he could fly the second leg if the weather cooperated. Quite frankly, I wasn't interested in his preference, and didn't give him a choice.

The general rule of thumb at that operation was that copilots flew dead legs, captains flew passenger legs. It was a fractional operation, generally with every other leg being an empty one, repositioning. Such as been the case at several charter operations at which I have flown.

Interesting that some here have harped on the idea that if the company says fly every other leg, then the Captain is supposed to have no choice...but when the company doesn't want the copilot flying the live legs, people whine. You really can't have it both ways.

You could have said:
I could have said a lot of things, but I said what I said with intent. If you intend to put words in my mouth, crawl on over here and we'll talk about it. Until then, I can speak for myself quite well, thanks.

Very strange, but why do I have this feeling that, despite the numerous negative things mentioned about him and your endless efforts to help him get up to standard, this copilot was fighting some sort of lost battle…
This copilot was fighting a losing battle before he was ever hired. The miracle is that he lasted as long as he did. As for what you're feeling, I couldn't care less.

(But, I wonder how this had been done on earlier take offs…? Set any 'bugs' or speeds in fmgcs…)
You were given a few, select details. If you want the whole novel-length, in-depth, detail-driven story, stop in for a drink some time. Plan on staying for a week. You'll leave no richer, but entertained.

What had he done on earlier takeoffs? Very little. Hence the purpose of making a point on that particular day, as part of the teaching process.

Did you discuss with him later what departure and emergency briefings stand for and when and how to perform them?
I did, on a number of occasions, including discussions over dinner, as well as plane-side. Pity you weren't there to take over his oversight and training. You might have done better than every other captain in the company, and the training department, as well as a major international training company. Then again, everybody thinks they can do better, don't they?

In a way, I feel sorry for both of you that, despite your and your colleagues' admirable efforts to help him get up to standard, he could not control himself in public, went to the bar in stead of studying and eventually got fired…
Don't feel sorry for me. I was quite relieved to hear he was sacked. I was one of many who recommended it. The final straw was a recommendation from the internationally known training organization (the name of which isn't important here, in case one asks). I would prefer to see that his pilot privileges were suspended or revoked. That young man had no business in an aircraft.

Definitely an old time Flight Engineer who desires he was actually...a pilot.
We see 'em all the time.
To be ignored, generally.
IE: consigned without a window seat.
Isn't it time for your geritol?