PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greedy captains who won't let you fly
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 03:43
learner001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During a departure one day, I was given a left turn and then asked to intercept an airway…
Were not you both given the left turn and the intercept?
You could have said: "Would you please take control for a while, HDG xxx and climb to FL yyy…" and take the chart and tune the radio's and pointers yourself. And when on the radial: "Thanks, nice job… We managed…"
And take it from there…

One morning I had a dead leg to fly in two parts, with a fuel stop.
Were not you both having one morning this dead leg to fly in two parts, with this fuel stop?

I told him I'd take the first leg, he could have the second, assuming good weather. He was a very weak pilot, and I didn't trust him in busy areas, complex airspace, or in weather.
Where we fly, it usually goes like this: "Which legs would you like to fly…?" (Unless CAT 'low' or auto-land…)

Very strange, but why do I have this feeling that, despite the numerous negative things mentioned about him and your endless efforts to help him get up to standard, this copilot was fighting some sort of lost battle…

I wonder how the copilot would have had developed, if you guys had been 'coaching' him in a more 'active' positive manner with some patience and let him fly a bit more in stead of less, without overloading him or yourselves at crucial moments… Some people need help desperately, rather than being 'put aside'...

Of course it is a bit odd if you don't get the speeds.
(But, I wonder how this had been done on earlier take offs…? Set any 'bugs' or speeds in fmgcs…)

Of course it is embarrassing if you don't get a 'departure' and a 'go/no go drill' briefing somewhere before departure.
(But, I wonder also how this had been handled on earlier take offs…?)
He had not only no idea about how to do a takeoff briefing, but no idea about how to reject the takeoff. I prompted him on how he might reject the takeoff, if needed. He got the procedure wrong. Not even close.
Did you discuss with him later what departure and emergency briefings stand for and when and how to perform them?
After three times he should 'get the hang of it'… Unless he was/is not the PF too often, of course…!

Just let him fly in that busy area, complex airspace and weather. Easier for you to manage the flight and… manage him…!
Maybe he would have had the opportunity to improve a bit in certain area's.

In a way, I feel sorry for both of you that, despite your and your colleagues' admirable efforts to help him get up to standard, he could not control himself in public, went to the bar in stead of studying and eventually got fired…

Very sad indeed . . .

Kind regards, learner . . .