PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not responding on 121.5
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2010, 15:56
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Mags On,

CRM went out the window with the invitation to go down the squash courts without the need to any sports equipment!!

The "step outside" attitude which was picked up on by at least one other poster was amplified in a personal message.

I was simply trying to reflect back some of the attitude I received but without the violent bits.

However, it is nice to hear that the RAF has started issuing licenses to serving controllers. That will save them having to complete the full civil ATC training course from scratch when they leave.

--------

As for ground units receiving 121.5. One has to remember the unique set-up in the UK.

121.5 is not reguluarly monitored by most civil units (towers and acc sectors). There are a few exceptions - Carlisle I think is one for an obvious reason!!

So even if say Bournemouth, Southampton and Shoreham all have direct line of sight to the transmitter at Ventnor Isle of Wight they will never hear any transmissions on 121.5

Furthermore if you are flying at FL350 over say Birmingham and have an emergency and (for some reason) call on 121.5 then none of the controllers who are working the traffic in any of the london sectors nor any of the aerodromes below you are going to hear that call.

The call is going to be heard by military personnel who also are providing the same service to the military on 243 and the controller working the traffic near you will not know of your call until they receive a phone call from the military people in D+D.

So if you decide to divert to Birmingham with a very expeditions descent then they will not have a clue until they receive a phone call and may not be able to pass you anything on 121.5 eg weather approach etc etc. Which is a bit of a pain to say the least.

Strange thing is that D+D has automatic executive control of every emergency in the UK and if you read the wording of the SOPs at the ACC carefully you will find that;

a) Civil ATCO's are required to inform D+D if you have an emergency in their sector

b) D+D immediately has executive control

c) D+D can (usually do) permit the civil unti to continue handling the emergency.

If we look at one of the legitimate calls on 121.5 as an example:

Milano ABC123 10nm North west of TOP FL330 can you confirm the frequency we should be on.

ABC 123 call me on 134.525 (made up frequency)

or

London Centre ABC123 10nm North West of HON can you confirm the frequency we should be on.

ABC123 standby

telephone conversation later

ABC 123 call 134.525 (made up frequency)

So quite a different situation. Some pro's and some con's to both cases but one should be aware of what is available if one calls.

----

Rogue,

I have been to D+D several times. Very nice people.