PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greedy captains who won't let you fly
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2010, 08:53
dyktt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guppy:
You're chasing the point that F/O must always without exception have a certain amount of legs like the famous knight chased his windmills. Does anyone without a mental disorder actually think that a totally worthless pilot (like the one you nicely described) are supposed to even continue flying, and even less b in control of the plane? And who's actually letting him to do so in "his" aeroplane?

The point of more interest would be, and also the thread point, that a normal or above average F/O got banned from touching the controls. The blame for this can be discussed and i enjoy reading your posts. It seems though as some captains have got very sensistive toes that a simple F/O or less experienced F/C should stay well clear of

The thread shows the sides of "management by fear" that are going on in many companies. Where i am it's further up the ladder than captains the fear tactics are going on. My impression is often that a boss/captain that have a great need to repeatedly to state his position does that as a lack of natural leadership talent. It's a way of realizing that one cannot solve it well so it's time to take the second best route and just pull rank loud and clear. Of course that's better than inverting the cockpit gradient but it's far from the best solution. Most F/O:s can normally sort out who's the boss in the cockpit easily by just tilting the head and count bars on the shoulder, if less than on the other guy then he's/she's the boss, tadaa

I also get to wonder with the stories about the horrible F/O i've heard how it's so hard to even get an answer from companies when applying. Are the HR-departmens really doing a good job here?

A few captains I've flew with (of course not many) has been horrible at flying, the pax must be spilling their whisky the whole leg and it's not a cloud or gusty wind in the area. The fun part is that they are often the more nervous types when they are not in control. Are one judging others based on their own abilities?

All the best - T