PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not responding on 121.5
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2010, 21:31
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God forbid one if your loved ones is ever in need of urgent assistance but a rescue is delayed due to a TDA infringement
Do you think that any of the traffic that would be likely to hinder a rescue operation at 2000ft ASFC or lower monitor 121.5?

Does anyone else believe that PPLs (or any other form of licence holder) on VFR flights in microlights, gliders, Cessna, Piper and all the other types flown in the club / training environment............in otherwords 99% of the traffic in class G who could come into conflict with a SAR operation monitor 121.5?

What is the target audience of these sar-ops transmissions?

If the London / Scottish FIS frequency and the nearby ATS units made the warning calls then there is a far higher probability that it would reach the desired audience.

As best this could be described as helf & safety box ticking.

Therefore if I am awash in my lifejacket, I would prefer if the FIS and local ATC units issued the warnings and 121.5 tramsmissions were limited so that the SAR heli can home onto my 121.5 transmissions.

-----------

I am not going to waste my time teaching you how to corroborate Mode 3/A , Mode-S, 406MHz database data with an exact lateral location fix.
You don't have to.

The 406 database is available for use only when a 406 transmission is received and the information in the database is protected and only available for SAR purposes.

The Mode S hex is different in that it is public information.

You have the exact lateral location of a transmission. Just because an aircraft is directly above that position does not in itself prove that the aircraft made the transmissions or that it is the only one at that location.......unless as I have said several times you have other information such as the pilot uses their callsign;

a joke from before your time to illustrate;

B747 and C152 are taxying out to the active runway. They are clearly in a race to be first away and each reporting "ready on reaching" etc etc etc.

The ATCO sees what is happening and after an aircraft lands says "OK, which one of you guys wants to go first?"

Ther is an immediate response in a deep well cultured airline pilot voice saying "Shucks I think we'll let the little fella go first"

The take-off clearance to the C152 was partially blocked by the B747 pilot saying "we did not say that" but the C152 acknowledged and departed.

--------

Just hope that when my friend with the Big Airline Captain voice makes a practice pan call directly below something at 35,000 you don't assume it is a jet!!

Finally, ...........how far again to the edge of the autotriangulation area?

Last edited by DFC; 31st Aug 2010 at 21:46.