PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Indecisive and Complaining
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2010, 11:10
PPRuNeUser0198

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Air Bender
flight times that will be cut on V Australia flights to the Middle East and Europe will favour them over Jetstar.
Not necessarily - cost is king for many - and they will fly JQ on price alone...

Guys - there is a lot of comment that punters will not fly JQ when they can fly 'full service' and/or competitive Asian carriers - I am afraid that's just not fact.

The fact is, JQ International performs well - enjoy high seat factor and deliver quality yield against the cost-base it operates. I recently travelled on JQ International twice (330) ops to two destinations where there are competitors that offer a better 'full service' product and the JQ flights were full, 100%. One of those destinations included V's 777 and PAC Blue 737 as operators into that destination.

I am afraid for the demographic that JQ caterers too, there will always be patronage and cost is king for the majority component of that 'demographic'.

Just look at the punters who fly JQ MEL/DRW/SIN...for me, I consider that a nightmare journey - 13 odd hours, stop-over in a shocker of an airport (DRW) and 4 + hours a piece on potentially a 180 seat A320 with 28 inches of pitch and no recline, however the route performs because cost is king - there are plenty of 'choices' to SIN that can get you there in half the time...

At the end of the day, JQ's product is not for everyone, however it suits some, and really, the product is not that bad. Given you need to pay for service you want (which is a good thing), the end product, when compared to other airlines in the world, is pretty good. I'd certainly rate JQ over a number of carriers I've flown over the years - by FAR! There are some shockers out there!

The same applies to Tiger in AUS - hated by many, yet deliver seat factors of +80%...so, they obviously are meeting the needs of some people...

JQ I believe will do well to Southern Europe, in particular with the 78. The same aircraft that will deliver cost benefits to JQ should translate into attractive fares, coupled with a new aeroplane that will deliver on innovation and technology - I believe they'll do fine...