PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways 737 Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 01:22
Ocampo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really necessary, I don't know. People with more experience than me might be able to answer that question for you.
The very famous experience is the factor who helps you make those decisions. Those are my instructor words, by the way. His rationale seemed valid for me.

But if the checklist says do it, and it ain't gonna kill me, then I'll do it. I think it would be a lot easier in court to explain why you did something that is on the checklist, rather than try and explain why you didn't do something that is on the checklist because you thought you knew better than the aircraft manufacturer.
I just remembered that the very aircraft manual and the company SOP delegate the final authority regarding actions to take when it hits the fan to the PIC whom can decide which procedure could be more suitable for X condition not obviously stated anywhere. I'm yet to see an alleged engine fire checklist/NNC/Emergency Checklist/Memory Item that demands to conduct an evacuation. Remember the crew reportedly didn't have any fire indication whatsoever.

I like what FlyKingfisher said:

I think the crew jumped the gun on this one. If the aircraft was outbound as the TOI report states, they could have just returned to the gate instead of ordering an evac.
It would probably had been a non-event. But it looks like I'm giving more than my regular 2c...