PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do pilots Join EK??
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2010, 20:58
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all relative...

Might I venture a few guesses:

Photos: Airbus A380-861 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

and

Photos: Airbus A380-861 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

and

Photos: Boeing 777-36N/ER Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

It's all RELATIVE - you need to keep that in mind. EK understands this concept - it's called LABOR ARBITRAGE. A lot of pilots worldwide fly less-capable aircraft for far less money than what you would get at EK. The EK "package" with housing is considered great by some standards - regardless of what you think. Their situations are great for their home countries but not good when compared to other flying opportunities. Plus, many of those pilots might be bored with limited flying. It's a big deal for some people, for example, flying an A319 in Latin America for squat money which can qualify you to eventually fly an A380 someday for EK in the ME - some people would consider that a big improvement - regardless of the terrible rosters and haphazzard decision making by management. It's still a better situation for them relative to their original situation. How many Indian pilots would kill for an EK job? Right or wrong, everything is relative compared to their personal situations. What you might think is unacceptable could be perfectly acceptable (and maybe preferrable) to someone else from a worse situation.

I do think shiney-jet syndrome is alive and well. Everyone wants to fly the latest and greatest - those who don't are simply lying or delusional. If you want a desk job, go get one. If you really want to fly DC3s, quit EK and go to Africa and stop whining. Clearly, the rosters and the pay need to improve big-time at EK in order to keep pilot attrition levels lower - but who knows if that will ever happen with EK's management... It might not be what we want it to be, but it is reality...