PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways 737 Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2010, 16:10
Ocampo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because if you're going to evacuate the aeroplane, you do the evacuation checklist, which just happens to include this step:
Quote:
Engine and APU
fire switches (all) . . . . Override and pull

If an engine or APU fire warning occurs:
Illuminated fire switch . . . . . . . . . . Rotate to the stop and hold for 1 second
Well, sure; my Dash 8 evac memo says I have to pull all of the Pull Fuel Off Handles, but is it really necessary doing that with a perfectly normal engine (right engine in this case) even when a couple of steps before you cut the fuel supply via a less dramatic way?

I was thought that, while a procedure is there and it must be followed step by step, sometimes when the situation that called for the procedure was not all that urgent (as in this case) it makes one or two steps a little bit of an overreaction. So I ask again, even though it's an approved procedure, why did he do that for? Or even better, let's rephrase that: Was that really necessary?

They're not suspended because they did a terrific job anyway

"We were not aware that there would be no inflatable slides at the wing exit. Passengers realised it only when they reached the exit, by which time it was not possible to turn back,'' said Srikant Barhate, a passenger onboard the Jet Mumbai-Chennai flight.
Pay attention you moron!