PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtanker reservist pilots
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2010, 12:21
Whippersnapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, I'm sure I'm not alone in objecting to purebred civilian pilots pitching up ready type rated and donning a RAF uniform to fly for this new company having passed an interview and sim check. I (like a lot of folk on this forum) have worked bloody hard over the years for the RAF. As an organisation we may be a bit dog eared after years of cost cutting and underfunded overwork, but all of the people I work with, regardless of their talent, are first and foremost, members of the military. I like working with them because we all seem to have a common outlook and sense of humour. I know plenty of civilian pilots, and would love to work along side them in their work environment, but for the large part, they decided against military careers so I would not want them on my squadron just because the pay is good and times are hard outside.
There are some truly great pilots out in the airlines, I know. And when my time comes to join an airline, I look forward to learning from them. But for the moment, I like to see people wearing the uniform who have earned the right.

Arty out.
That was the sort of answer what my initial enquiry was aimed to solicit, though I was hoping people would feel ambivalent about it, rather than negative.

Like I said, I don't believe the RAF should have to pursue such PFI, but there's nothing we can do to increase political commitment to the Forces and the RAF is not going to be able to retain its independence.

I would never support the civvy crews wearing RAF wings on their uniforms. I did Cranwell and about half the flying training before being canned, like most in my year. I have worked hard at getting where I am, too, and having earned a Commission in the past, a uniform with the reservist pins would not seem unreasonable, but I know what RAF wings mean and would feel a fraud for wearing them. Most of us on this side of the fence would feel the same way. People like me are not especially rare in the airlines, and hopefully we'd be amongst the sort they're looking for, though I'd expect ATr to be aiming primarily for ex-tankies who have been in legacy carrier wide body fleets for a few years. Surely they'd be fit for the uniform, in your eyes?