PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtanker reservist pilots
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2010, 17:52
Impiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sponsored Reserves

Lets try and understand the concept of SRs chaps. They are an integral part of the contract with Air Tanker who have to provide a certain number of air and groundcrew SRs. To be acceptable all the normal requirements for Reserve Service have to be met: nationality, medical, age etc. The aircrew will also have to pass the Service medical but they do not have to pass through our flying training system to wings standard. To be given commissions (unless they've held them before) they will have to pass the Reserve Officers Initial Training course. The groundcrew - unless ex-servicemen, will attend Halton and undertake the Basic Reserve Training course. Oh and they'll have to pass the fitness test too!

Other Sponsored Reserves are the Serco groundcrew who maintain the Royal Flight aircraft, the Mobile Met Men, and I think there are a group of Boeing employees who do something clever for the E3D. As more capabilities are placed in the hands of contractors we can expect more Sponsored Reserves in future. I think the next likely project (after FSTA) to include them will be the new Air Traffic system which I believe the IPT want to staff with contractors rather than Blue Suiters.

Like it or not - it's part of the future so get used to it.

Last edited by Impiger; 28th Aug 2010 at 17:53. Reason: Extra info