PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways 737 Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2010, 19:48
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Times of India:-

MUMBAI: Mumbai airport saw unprecedented scenes on Friday evening when passengers of a Jet Airways flight to Chennai were asked to evacuate through emergency chutes after passengers saw smoke inside the cabin -- close to the left wing -- and pointed it out to the crew.

But the inflatable evacuation chutes at two of the exits near the middle of the aircraft failed to open, forcing many of the passengers to jump on to one of the wings and then jump down to the tarmac. Three of the panicky passengers suffered fractures and a dozen more received minor injuries in the process. All of them were given first aid by Mumbai International Airport Limited officials and those who suffered fractures were taken to hospital.

The incident took place around 9pm when flight 9W2302, already 45 minutes behind schedule, was on the taxiway of the airport just before take-off. "One of my co-passengers saw the smoke and immediately alerted the cabin crew," Shrikanth Barhate, one of the passengers aboard the Boeing 737 aircraft, told TOI minutes after the dramatic escape.

One cabin crew went into the cockpit to inform the commander as others searched for the source of the fire. "Then, all of a sudden, we were told to evacuate and the emergency exits were opened," Barhate said.

The front and rear exits of the flight were also thrown open, he added, but not too many people could use them because the aisle was crowded. "Many passengers, who were nearer the emergency exits in the middle, rushed there," he said.

It was there that the passengers realised that there was no inflatable slide to help them get off the aircraft and they would have to jump off the flight. Many of the fliers first jumped on to the wing and then jumped more than 12 feet to reach the tarmac, suffering fractures and bruises in the process.

Barhate himself suffered minor injuries. "I had taken off my shoes and was relaxing when the flight attendant barked out the evacuation orders. I just jumped off the aircraft with my shoes in hand," he said, adding that an elderly woman who jumped after him apparently sustained serious injuries.

An MIAL spokesperson confirmed the incident. "Jet Airway's flight to Chennai reported fire in one of its engines when it was still on the taxiway," the official said. "But no fire was detected," he said.

A Jet Airways spokesperson said the commander on board was informed of "an alleged engine fire". There was no visible trace of the fire but the commander still proceeded to declare a "precautionary emergency", the spokesperson said, adding that a "thorough inspection of the engine was carried out" after the evacuation.

Several flights taking off from Mumbai were delayed and many had to manoeuvre around the parked Jet Airways flight to reach the take-off point.
Would appear to be another case where the greatest damage resulting was to the souls evacuating.

mm43