PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes me employable
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2010, 15:35
sp6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amonty, if you do get to be an FI then you will enjoy the respect of your students and they will want to book more lessons with you.

However, the School owner/bosses will hate you and do everything they can to remove you from flying. Far better for them to have a gaggle of desperate fATPL hour builders who will do what they are told, ignore aircraft faults, fly in bad weather and do as many gift vouchers flights as they possibly can as quick as they can. Oh and do it for minimum wages/free of charge too.

Top career guidance for FI's -

Don't query the boss with regard to your supervision while Restricted - there's an Unrestricted FI who "lives nearby/at another airfield/on the telephone"

Don't book the aircraft for an whole afternoon for the solo x/c - the student can do the x/c & two landaways in two slots - one at a squeeze.

Don't argue with the non flying/PPL only school boss regarding weather minima - he is far more experienced than you and the gift voucher will enjoy it

Don't sign the aircraft u/s when the non EASA Qualified school boss says it is safe to fly

Do sign off the PPL to fly the club aircraft even if he scares the living daylights out of you. He's a mate of the boss and far more experienced than you. He's flown in the US, so his handling skills are far better than yours.

Do spend seven days a week at the club from 0830 to 1900, answer the phone, wash the aeroplanes, clean the clubhouse and if you get £15 a week for the one hour you do get - be grateful!

(Disclaimer - my light-hearted cynical comments taken from folklore & reading AAIB reports and IN NO WAY REPRESENTATIVE of my own instructing experience)