PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes me employable
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2010, 12:19
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I would also strongly disagree with Bose X.

When I learnt to fly in the early 1980s one of the major assets the club had were relatively experienced instructors who were happy to instruct for a hobby, normally on one day per weekend. They had regular students with whom they had a rapport, and were interested in the private flying club "scene" and could talk to the students about grass strips and air rallies etc, not just about frozen ATPLs and the depressed state of the airline job market.

When I became an instructor myself I much appreciated their presence, apart from anything else it meant that as a full time instructor I could get Sundays off (admittedly I wasn't desperate to build hours and was lucky enough to get paid a salary, rather than by the hour).

Unfortunately, the CPL requirements for instructors pretty much put an end to that, as there are very few left now. If there is someone here who is prepared to pay for a CPL and still do this sort of flying then should he not be encouraged. Although I guess that depends on whether the flying club or whatever is there for the benefit of the customers (students) or the staff.

I would say to Amonty go for it. Instructing at PPL level will never be a big money earner, but it is extremely satisfying and vastly improves your own flying skills - and if you eventually get the opportunity to move into commercial/FIC training or to become an examiner then you can make a reasonable living at it.