PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Officer logging PIC Time. Yes or No?
Old 26th Aug 2010, 23:32
Propellerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@deefer dog - what you say doesn't make any sense to me at all because that is not the point.

The point is who is responsible if things go wrong in your cockpit and who has the final say ? From what you're saying, it would be the pilot flying, because it is his leg and he is logging P1. Or is that the point where command suddenly gets retransferred ? Sure it is Multi Crew, but who is legally responsible ?

I am P1 rated on my current type, but if I am flying designated as First Officer I would never claim P1 status and log the hours with one exeption: my commander becomes incappacitated and I have to take full control.

Even JAR is quite clear on this, that the comander legally responsible claims to log the P1 hours. If it where otherwise this whole PICUS thing wouldn't make sense. PICUS is for training purposes towards a higher licence - therefor they can be logged as PICUS. The guy supervising is still PIC and can log those hours accordingly.

It is not about who flies the aircraft, but about who is legally responsible and accountable. Nowhere in the Law do I read the FO being accountable for anything.

These definitions should be understood equally by all in order to assertain a proper record of experience and to avoid distortons. If someone starts logging P1 who is not the commander, he is actually frauding his records and will put those of us, who log our hours the politically correct way at a certain disadvantage. What is the point of flight logging, if everyone does it in a different way, as it suits them ?

Last edited by Propellerpilot; 27th Aug 2010 at 00:03. Reason: additional thoughts...